text-align: center;Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker My eternal quest for a hobby: Edie

My eternal quest for a hobby

Friday, October 27, 2006

Edie

Edie died last night at around 6 pm. She waited until mom and dad got home from Portugal before dying so they got to say goodbye. It's funny, up until the end I kept thinking - she'll be fine, she always bounces back. I believed her when she said that she would be around for Ellis's first birthday. I feel guilty of course for thinking that she was not all that sick - she kept saying though, I'm perfectly healthy, there's just something wrong with the old system. It turns out her willpower was amazing as she had renal failure, congestive heart failure and a massive, bowel, stomach infection which is probably what overcame that will to live. She did want to be carried out of her house in a pine box and she nearly was - in the end, she only had to spend about 24 hours in the hospital. She was one week shy of her 94th birthday. I think Ellis was rather upset - he seemed to take a liking to Edie - he didn't even seem scared in the emergency room when she had tubes sticking out all over her. Tracey, Ellis and I kept her company all day yesterday - she was sleeping, but I guess she could hear us as she did die just after mom and dad came to say goodbye. We had told her they were on their way. Ellis got rather upset when she died - it was probably the atmosphere in the room, but I wonder. I tend to think babies still have a link to that other world where we come from and where we go to. He wouldn't go to sleep last night till about midnight - probably because he'd been up till 2am the night before in the emergency room. This morning he kept sleeping and I eventually had to go wake him up at 10. He's been pretty cranky though and has mostly slept the day away. I hope he hasn't caught something from the hospital.

On another note, when he's awake, he loves to play in the exersaucer. It's amazing really - he can now use his hands to spin the toys on the tray and can almost drag himself around from toy to toy. It's is so cool to see his brain working to move his hands - he's turning into a real person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home