text-align: center;Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker My eternal quest for a hobby: Skipped a day

My eternal quest for a hobby

Monday, February 21, 2005

Skipped a day

Is one supposed to blog on a daily basis? If so, it's a hobby in itself.

Is one supposed to respond to Blog comments? It seems rude not to somehow aknowledge them somehow. Pat - I'm going to ask my guitar teacher if he does know anyone I can jam with. I did get an offer from some street kids one day as I walked home from my lesson, but I was too chicken and didn't think I'd be good enough. They said it didn't matter, but I didn't quite believe them- they have way more practice time than me (ok, gross stereotyping and judging noted).

Also - food as a hobby - I agree both eating and gambling can be dangerous hobbies indeed.

The second day of gambling seemed to prove my theory - my attitude was generally negative (Honestly - I tried to think "I'm going to win!") and my cards sucked (yes - it was the cards, not my skill level).

I resolved myself to losing all my money and so always gave my cards a chance. My positive attitude did start to work, but then I started feeling like crap (too much poker food) so I left the table and read my book. I managed to polish off the first two books of the Traveling Pants triology. There really is something about a good teen book - it even made me cry!

Sunday I went for a run - it really stood out as one of my best runs ever. The weather was amazing - about 5 celsius and bright and sunny. I ran along some trails near the ocean. I think the lack of sleep the night before might have not helped too much, but it was still great.

I don't consider running a hobby either.

Maybe I need to consider what my criteria is for categorizing something as a hobby.

So - what are the required characteristics of my perfect hobby:

1. I gotta love it - and want to be doing it all the time (so far, it seems like Zelda Windwalker fits the bill - but you'll see that it doen't have any of the other required characteristics)

2. It must lead to a creation/tangible something or other or help to contribute to making the world a better place (I'm thinking sustainable woodworking here or making things out of garbage).

3. It would be nice if people would admire the hobby - or want to get involved in some way as a result of it.

4. it would be good if I could turn it into a job and support myself with it.

I think the main thing is that there has to be a pretty clear purpose to my hobby. I really feel it should help someone in some way.

I say this, but I don't have that strong a track record of going out of my way to be with people. I like being solitary. The hobby I'm looking for should be specifically designed for an introvert.

Ok, that's enough for now.

1 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger GT said...

Neddie, I'm wondering if you are looking for more than what a "hobby" (in the traditional sense) can offer. Have you considered volunteering? Maybe doing some stuff with community groups may be what you are looking for. God knows, Vancouver needs all the community support it can get...

Just a thought. - P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home